Friday, May 1, 2009

Healthy Crepes!

Crepes can be healthy? I thought those came served with Nutella and Lingonberries...!




Well... the recipe I tried tonight came to me as epiphany while I shopped with the question: how to make crepes healthy!

Crepes are a very easy thing to make from scratch or buy ready made mixes from the store. However, they are not very filling without their sugary filling.

My filling was Gouda cheese, sautéed onions, and a bruschetta mix!

I bought the bruschetta mix from the store pre-made. In the future will make this on my own one night for an Italian meal then save some for my crepe creations!


Here is the healthy crepe route!

Step1 retrieve a cutting board to dice some onions on.
Step 2&3 (to be done simultaneously) in a separate pan while you mix your crepe batter... have some butter substitute sautéing some onions. Make your crepe batter, have some healthy butter substitute in the pan to make it non stick.
Step4 while the onions and the crepe pan heats. Take a block of Gouda cheese to the cheese grater so it will melt easier and more even on the crepe.
Step5 cook your crepe; once you flip it add some of the grated Gouda cheese.
Step6 take crepe off, add the sautéed onions then add some of your bruschetta mix (you either made this before for your own Italian feast (see my strategy post) or store bought).

Wallah... a healthy, filling quick and easy dinner! Preparation should take 10 minutes, cooking time depends on how many crepes you make but cleanup is easy with only 2pans, a knife, a cutting board and a spatula!

The best part... you can sneak over into dessert recipes easy too! My personal favorite is lingonberries and blackberries....

As a new master chef... you can try all sorts of delicious dessert concoctions from cinnamon, sugar, apples, raspberries, nutella, blueberries, blackberries, lingonberries, bananas or even a liquor flambé!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment